Post Thanksgiving Ride: Marshall Wall

Friday, November 26, 2010
.
Michael and I lead today's club ride that meets up on Miller Creek Rd in San Rafael. Water and restrooms are available along with ample street parking.
.
We take Lucas Valley Rd and climb up to Big Rock before dropping down into the redwoods to Nicasio.
.
**Photos may be enlarged by clicking on the selected image
.
.
We continue along Nicasio Valley Rd, pass the reservoir and take the right turn at the T intersection to climb Rocky Hill. The climb is a little over one mile with the average gradient being around 6%.
.
.
There is a regroup at the Cheese Factory. Water and restrooms are available.
.
.
We continue on to Hicks Valley Rd to Marshall Petaluma Rd. The stair step climb up "Marshall Wall" is about 2 miles long with a false summit. The first section is the steepest with the gradient ranging from 9-11%. The road eases up a bit to the false summit. The climb continues along the ridge with a gradient of 7-8%. You get fantastic views of Tomales Bay followed by a wickedly fast descent down to Hwy 1. Watch out for the potholes!
.
.
We continue south on Hwy1 to our lunch stop at the Marshall Store. You can order clam chowder, BBQ oysters and sandwiches. Crab is in season! The views of the bay from the outdoor seating area is gorgeous!
.
.
We head south on Hwy 1 to Point Reyes Station. It's nothing but fun short rollers all the way to the Winery. There is a short steep hill before the turn on Mesa Rd.
.
.
There is another stop at the Bovine Bakery. Water and restrooms are available at the Fire Station or at the park behind the market.
.
.
We return on Pt Reyes-Petaluma Rd and Nicasio Valley Rd to Nicasio.
.
.
The climb up Lucas Valley Rd to Big Rock is easier on the return to Miller Creek. It's a very fast and fun descent back to the start.
.

.
Much thanks to everyone who took the time to join Michael and I on this ride!
.
17 people in attendance
.
62 miles with 3382' of elevation gain
.
Weather: Wonderful! Sunny, cool and breezy. Starting temp of 49, reaching a high of 58 while heading towards Pt Reyes Station and dropping back to 48 degrees at the finish.
.
** For more photos regarding this route, check the blog archive for June, 2010: Marshall Wall
.
Check out this video: Rocky Hill climb and the views of Tomales Bay
.

video

9 comments:

  1. I do not know if it's just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering issues with your blog. It seems like some of the text in your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too? This may be a issue with my browser because I've had this happen before.
    Thanks

    Take a look at my homepage :: coffee maker ratings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever thought about writing an ebook or guest authoring on other sites?
    I have a blog based on the same information you discuss and would love
    to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers would
    enjoy your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.

    Feel free to surf to my web site ... Click At This Website

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do
    it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. many thanks

    My page: Read Full Report

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I've
    shared your web site in my social networks!

    Here is my web site http://wcrawford.org/sourcing-big-man-clothing-provides-clients-many-benefits.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really inspired along with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it your self? Anyway keep up the nice high quality writing, it is rare to peer a great weblog like this one nowadays..

    Have a look at my website :: wiki.ku.dk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a weblog site?
    The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vibrant transparent concept

    Feel free to surf to my web blog; http://whitecoatresearch.Com/?P=25

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty component of content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to
    claim that I acquire actually loved account your weblog posts.
    Any way I will be subscribing to your augment or even I achievement you get right of entry to persistently fast.


    Look at my blog: associazionismo.altervista.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. I amm alwаys frustrɑted at not beung ablе to get the
    last jelly, it drives mme mad. My mistɑke was while using thе gamе
    out ɑnd getting addicteԀ tto it. For example, if you have been pрaying on your phone and you gеt a new phone, youu
    don't ɦave to start the ggame all over again.

    Here is my web-site ... candy crush hack

    ReplyDelete