Marshall Wall

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Today's club ride is led by Joan Reinhardt Reiss. We meet in Nicasio and ride alongside the Nicasio Reservoir on Nicasio Valley Rd. The first climb is on Pt Reyes-Petaluma Rd (Cheese Factory Hill). It's about 1.4 miles with an average gradient of 7%. We head north on to Hicks Valley Rd which takes us out on Marshall-Petaluma Rd, past the Walker Ranch to climb the notorious "Marshall Wall". This stairstep climb is about 2 miles long with a false summit. The first section is the steepest with the gradient ranging from 9-11%. The road then eases up for a bit to the false summit. The climb continues on the ridge with a gradient of 7-8% and you're treated to the beautiful views of Tomales Bay and the grassland hills of Marin. After cresting the summit, you get an exhilarating fast descent down the west side of Marshall Wall to Hwy 1. The lunch stop is at the Marshall Store. They serve great clam chowder and fresh oysters. Sitting outdoors allows you to enjoy the panorama view of the bay. We then head south on Hwy 1 to Point Reyes Station for a stop at the Bovine Bakery. There is a short climb on Hwy 1 to Pt Reyes-Petaluma Rd. It's mostly downhill from there all the way to the intersection of Platform Bridge Rd. We make a left to continue on Pt Reyes-Petaluma Rd to get back to Nicasio Valley Rd.
.
Thanks to Joan for leading today's ride!
.
20+ people in attendance.
.
42 miles with 2361' of elevation gain.
.
Mike, Wyatt and I start the ride from Miller Creek Rd, adding 20 miles to the route.
.
62 miles with 3294' of elevation gain.
.
Weather: Sunny & breezy. Starting temp of 65 reaching a high of 78.
Plenty of headwind on Hwy 1 to the Marshall Store. Temps dropped to 66 at lunch and rose back up to the 70's on the way to the Bovine.
*Photos may be enlarged by clicking on the selected images

4 comments:

  1. I have to thank you for the efforts you've put in writing this site. I'm hoping to check
    out the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well.

    In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my
    own, personal blog now ;)

    Also visit my web page: bipti.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that's both
    educative and engaging, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something which too few folks are
    speaking intelligently about. I am very happy
    I found this in my search for something concerning this.


    My web-site; her explanation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked while
    people think about worries that they plainly don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

    Also visit my blog click here

    ReplyDelete